Rabunite 101 a Success

March 29, 2013

The Rabunite 101 class welcomed 22 participants for a half-day workshop in the basics of fly fishing on March 23. They learned casting, entomology, knots and equipment at the Rabun County Rec Center. Passing it on!

Four Rabun TU Members “Tie One On” at Bass Pro Shops

March 29, 2013

On Saturday, March 9, Tie-1-On at Bass Pro Shops. The Rabun TU Chapter tiers were Terry Rivers, Kyle Burrell, Doug Hickman, Charlie Breithaupt. They took turns tying and produced a total of 131 flies. The total pledge amount was $291.52 by the following 13 members: Ray King, Kent Wilson, Crawford Art Gallery, Sid Berkstresser, Wayne Prosser, Steve Perry, Glen English, Larry Walker, Tim McClure, Mike Fuller, Jerry Webb, Doug Adams & Pat Hopton. Funds raised go 30 percent to our chapter and all the flies we will be use for bucket raffle at the chapter meetings. The remainder 70% of the funds will go to charities through the GA TU Council.
Report filed by Terry Rivers

HELP the Rabun TU Chapter SAVE OUR TROUT, You Could Win a Fly Rod

March 29, 2013

HELP the Rabun TU Chapter SAVE OUR TROUT and YOU COULD WIN a SAGE ONE Series, 4 wt., 4 piece, 9′ Fly Rod & SAGE 2030 reel – $1000 value

Tickets are $3 each or 4 for $10
Drawing will be held during Chapter picnic on July 16, 2013

For tickets, please contact Kent Wilson (770) 377-0657

SAGE ONE Series Fly Rods
The ONE rod is the flagship offering from SAGE and may define the “all around” rod category, where precision casting accuracy is needed over a wide range of conditions. Hand crafted from Konnetic technology three years in the making, the ONE rod is a game changer. Its fast action incorporates a built in sweet spot, making the ONE rod the ideal choice for experienced and aspiring fly casters alike.

(winner does not have to be present to win)

Results of Chapter Campouts Survey

March 3, 2013

Compiled by Directors Wayne Prosser & Frank Patton

  1. Continue two annual campouts – almost everybody is in on that and said they would attend.
  2. Camps should be 3 or 4 days duration within window from Wednesday thru Sunday am- pretty much as now.
  3. Food and all cooking would be provided by Chapter for some TBD meals. However, anybody could bring their own stuff as well. (‘Need to decide on which meals and when, etc.)
  4. Meals would be provided with fees paid for in advance. (Consider higher price for those who just show up at camp w/o previous commitment, as contingency)
  5. Divide camp days and assign daily camp responsibilities so work is shared thru-out week.
  6. Annual campouts would be at Cherry Hill in spring and (?) in fall. (More discussion needed on this….)
  7. In addition to the two annual chapter campouts, support camping at other sites, such as NC, TN, VA, “West of Hiawassee”, etc. 8) Chapter hosts special fish camps (specific requests) for youth (Boy &/or Girl Scouts, others). They learn to fish, we cook and mentor.
  8. Create a BOD position/function as “campout director” or something like so one person is responsible to make it all happen. That person could then form a committee for specific actions needed. This Director would then study and advise on logistics, such as food, equipment, storage, etc. (Thank you Director Glenn English, who volunteered for this. )

Rabun Chapter has selected 3 campers for the 2013 Georgia Trout Camp!

March 3, 2013

Rabun Chapter has selected 3 campers to sponsor for the 2013 Georgia Trout Camp

June 9th – 14th

The two Rabun Chapter 2013 Trout Campers will be Charles Bonnette and Justin Bonnette from Long Creek, SC. Flint River TU Chapter passed on one of their slots at Trout Camp to Morgan Tolbert from Monroe, GA, and the Kanooka TU Chapter passed on one of their slots at Trout Camp to Chandler Dinofrio from Lakemont, GA.


Prez Tammy Wins Mack Martin Rod Sweepstakes

Chapter Prez Tammy Hopton held the winning ticket at the Chapter’s annual July 11 family picnic that she won the raffle for Mack Martin’s custom-built Winston 3-weight fly rod! The rod raffle brought in more than $1,800 to support our programs. That’s a new record. We can’t thank Mack enough for his generosity in crafting and donating such a beautiful trout tickler to our Chapter.

More details here.

Fellowship and Fly Fishing

Is coming back! This program in which members would fish a local stream together was put on pause during COVID,  but Rabunite Mike Fuller is resurrecting it.  Read more!



Find Us On